Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Living With Psoriasis Pt I (of many)

I have severe Psoriasis - If it weren't for the cool injection drug I'm taking, it would be unbearable to deal with, I mean, you've read the Ant Story (I hope) so you have a brief understanding of what it's like.  It's a pain, at it's worst when I didn't have any help or direction with this disease it was difficult to move or sleep or work or interview (or..or..or...anything else).  It's invasive, painful and during summer and winter, dry's out so bad that it feels like sand paper being rubbed on your skin. Maybe some of my experience can help you.

1. Tar Products that you rub on your skin thins your skin out - and should be used sparingly, if at all.
2. Alcohol based lotion - drys out your skin and can make the Psoriasis crack and bleed - non-alcohol based lotions/moisturizers such as Aveno with oatmeal or Lubriderm work well. 
3. Tanning - doesn't work, UV-B rays are the ones that will regenerate your skin, but this is controlled by dermatologists because of the limited time you're supposed to be in the booth.
4. Direct sunlight - get in the sun as much as possible and I'm not talking about sunbathing purely, but going out and letting the sun naturally tan your body - obviously, it should be limited each time because you don't want to get sun burned,  so moderate.
5. Exercise - it seems to me that people, generally, that have this condition are also mildly to very overweight (I am mildly overweight) and don't get enough exercise.  This is highly important.

I wanted to start off this weeks blog with something that's near and dear to me and how I've had to cope with this disease and I'll be detailing how I've had to deal with being in the public, selling and telling people about my conditions and my fortunate luck in finding several good doctor's (and the bad ones as well) that allowed me to start to get this disease under control.  Also, better spelling will be involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment