Saturday, January 8, 2011

Job Interviews

Recently, I had a job interview.  Now - let's just say I am sick and tired of interview for jobs.  I am a professional JOB INTERVIEWER, I've been on more interviews in the last, let's say 4 years, than most people have had jobs.  It's pathetic and I don't really want to go into details about all the jobs but I will post my favorite interviews and of course what happened at my last job.

1st favorite interview - I interviewed for a position with a major clothing company doing simple help desk support for multiple stores.  I have a lot of computer experience and can do walk throughs of most major systems in my sleep. I'm not bragging, it's just a fact, when one has been doing this for a long time, it's second nature.  Anyways, I was told to be at this interview at 11am.  I arrived at 10:45, made sure to walk in and be there about 7 minutes early.  I waited for the interviewer until 11:15, asked the counter chick to page him, maybe he forgot.  She said that he was in a meeting.  Annoyed, I sit down and leaf through a magazine, 11:30 rolls around, still no sign of interviewer.  11:45 rolls around and here comes MR. Interviewer, laughing and carrying on with his boss (or whoever the douche was) 50 minutes late for the interview.
The interview starts - 20 minutes into it, he looks at his watch and I said "do you have to go?"
he says "I have an important lunch date"
That was awesome.  It made me feel important. My recourse?  i pussed out and said nothing.

A sales job for a car company where the guy said "you're great, just what we're looking for, but I don't want anyone taking MY JOB."  My response was "THIS job, internet sales, is exactly what I want and I don't need or want your job, you're safe" - then he hired a female because men scare him.

You can see where these interviews are going.

My favorite interviews are ones where the hold your resume in their hand and ask you "do you have experience".

My last 2 experiences I want to talk about were MGM and Industrial Light and Magic - I'm also going to throw Sony Pictures Animation in there for fun because that's just a good story.

Let's start with ILM - I arrive - total geekdom overcomes me, I'm sitting in the FUCKING LOBBY OF ILM! On one wall is a massive picture from ET (The moon) and the other is the Imperial base from Endor (Return of The Jedi) - both are what are called Matte Paintings - paintings used in a movie to provide background that's usually not available in real life - oh and there's the life size Darth Vader guarding the hallway just beyond.  At this point it's 2000 and they are starting production on the new Star Wars and the Special Editions.  Anyways, it's a geeks dream, to cut to the chase, I interviewed well, we get outside and the manager (nice guy!) and the supreme chief leader (whom the manage said "was a dick) get into an argument about me and how the supreme chief leader of tech support doesn't think I can install memory into an apple computer - well, the argument cost me the job :(  but I met Dennis Muren and that was cool.

MGM - well, same thing I show up, interview well and he asks if I can install memory, so I tell him "let me show you" and he poo pooed it, didn't get the job :(

Sony Pictures - Interviewed really well, later that night, I end up at a Los Angeles Kings game... Sitting with the PRESIDENT of Sony Pictures Animation Tech Support.  We were all drunk and calling Theo Fleurry names that shouldn't have been saying, his kids were even in on it.  My fault lol.

Anyways, I've had a lot of interviews and my most recent one was for car sales and truthfully, I'm sick and tired of interviewing for jobs when the interviewer says "I am going to call you later today".  Don't fucking lie to my face, tell me the truth, tell me that you're still interviewing and will make a decision at some point in time, I've had people say "we're going in a different direction" and 2 days later hire a guy for the same position.  If you're going to tell someone something, TELL THE TRUTH! Don't be a fucking douche and don't lie, it just makes you look stupid in the future.

At my last position I was selling cars for a local small car lot.  The owner hired 3 of us, fired the first one after a week, his response was "I like giving people experience", then a week later he fired the other one for "performance" - she had been working there for 10 days.  I asked them "with what's happened, should I be concerned for my job" and was told "keep doing what you've been doing and it will be ok".  Well, I did and 15 days after I got hired, I was called into the owners office.  He looks at me and says "here's your check" and I say "Why are you giving me this now - it's 4:30, I've been here all day" the owner goes "I paid you for  the entire day" and I say "So?  You could have told me this morning and I could have been job hunting" and his excuse again was "I paid you for the entire day, what's the problem?", to which I replied with the same bit "I could have used this day to LOOK FOR A JOB" and he said "you can start tomorrow".
What kind of 3rd grade bullshit is that?  Fucking jerk off.  I'm not the only one that goes through this, but it feels like it.

One get's tired of trying to find a job, and then when someone get's hired and then 15 days after getting hired get's fired for no reason what-so-ever (no write ups/warnings etc etc) and is told "just keep doing what you're doing" it makes it difficult to continue trying to work for anyone else.  It's getting to the point that I despise working for corporate America, it's feels like indentured servitude, low pay, asshole bosses and shitty conditions.  And still I keep looking for that one job that I can go back to and wake up every morning and say "I can't wait to get to work", which is what I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment