Thursday, January 20, 2011

Animation

I am a huge animation nerd - I mean to the point of, a couple of weeks ago I could have seen True Grit and instead chose Tangled.  I still would like to see True Grit - it's supposedly amazing, but honestly, one has to be in the right frame of mind to see a movie like that.

I like the fact that companies like Pixar and Dreamworks are putting out decent animated movies, Lucasfilm doing Clone Wars and we have [adult swim] for the late night funnies and reruns of American Dad and Family Guy that we may have missed plus great shows like Robot Chicken, Metalocalypse, Aqua Teen Hunger Force and their Saturday night Japanese Anime line up which includes the phenomenal Cowboy Bebop, but it's really not enough.

There are thousands upon thousands of great cartoons that are not being played because the channels that run them are owned  by one company and they play the flavor of the moment or when they want, pull out the Ren and Stimpy show or Catdog or Rocco's Modern Life - hardly classic, but good stuff.   What happened to Bugs Bunny, Tex Avery, early good Tom and Jerry, Terrytoons (Baby Huey anyone?), Mighty Mouse, Heckle and Jeckle, Challenge of the Superfriends, hell even the bad 80's cartoons like Rubik's Cube, Qbert, Pacman, the kid that turned into the car, Dungeons and Dragons - the list goes on, I have the programming schedules of every cartoon played since 1978, that's how OCD I am about this subject.  It's sad that when kids wake up in the morning, they don't get the full on Saturday Morning experience - cartoons until like 10am which has to include Fat Albert and This Week In Baseball (non cartoon I know, but still) but they get to watch news which starts at like 3am, who wants to get up and watch news on a Saturday while eating their cereal? I don't, plus, there are 24 hour news channels, I don't want my local affiliates to mirror CNN or Headline News, I want them to be original, have original programming and terrible cartoons.

It's a weird topic to be talking about, but it extends to all TV in general - how many tv shows about cops are there, how many of them are good?  How many shows about lawyers or doctors or the whacky suburban family sitcom?  It's a vast landscape of mediocrity, with remakes or reboots or spinoff's.  I think that the last good original show (which turned bad) was Scrubs and cable shows don't count, like Spartacus, Larry David, things that are on HBO or Showtime because those channels take chances on good shows.

Back to the topic of cartoons - There needs to be a return of the Saturday morning cartoon!  Bring it back and let a new generation of kids grow up on these shows that we grew up on - and don't edit them!  That's just lame to edit a damn cartoon.  I wonder how much it would cost to create a channel so kids can experience the whole Saturday morning experience.  Anyone out there have that experience?  I know this one is kind of weak, but it was on my mind and I miss Saturday morning cartoons. Also, I'm not drunk or high which makes this posting seem weirder.

I'm off to look up how to make a tv station so i can make this happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment